1. Decentralized social networking
1.1 Centralized social platform
Social networks play an important role in our daily communication and interactions. However, the centralized control of these platforms creates many problems: data breaches, server outages, deplatforming, censorship, and privacy violations.
Decentralized social networks can solve some of the problems of traditional social networking platforms.
1.2 Decentralized social network
(1) Decentralized social networks rely on p2p networks or distributed network nodes, which are less affected by server downtime and interruptions.
(2) Decentralized social networks are censorship resistant and open to all.
(3) Decentralized social networks provide users with a high degree of privacy and anonymity.
(4) Decentralized social networks rely on decentralized storage, not centralized databases.
1.3 Decentralized social network based on blockchain
Blockchain-based decentralized social networks also have the following advantages:
(5) Decentralized social networks eliminate the "middleman". Content creators have direct ownership of their content, and they interact directly with followers, fans, buyers, and other parties with only smart contracts between the two parties.
(6) Decentralized social platforms provide content creators with an improved monetization framework through non-fungible tokens (NFT), in-app encrypted payments, etc.
1.4 Centralized social platforms vs decentralized social networks
- (1) Everyone has the need to speak loudly and obtain information in public
- (2) Everyone has the need to whisper and share secrets in private
- (3) In public, different groups have different interests and demands. Although you have the right to speak, others feel the violation and have the right to complain about you. Centralized social platforms maintain fairness.
- (4) In private, people are divided into groups, there is a high probability that there is no conflict of interest, you have the freedom to say anything, and you will not worry about other people's complaints. Decentralized social networks offer freedom.
As users, we can not only use centralized social platforms to obtain a large amount of social information, but also use decentralized social networks to communicate privately.
2. Dmens Design Background
2.1 Why is ComingChat doing Dmens?
As we all known:
(1) The positioning of Bitcoin is a decentralized currency.
(2) The positioning of Ethereum is a decentralized finance.
Both BitCoin and Ethereum have achieved their goals well, but neither their confirmation speed nor on-chain storage can meet the requirements of decentralized social products.
If a blockchain-based decentralized social product wants to obtain an experience close to Web2, the confirmation speed of the underlying blockchain must be fast, and the storage on the chain must be cheap enough.
Sui is a Layer 1 public chain project designed from the ground up to enable creators and developers to build products that meet the experience of 1 billion web3 users. Sui scales out to support a wide range of application development with unparalleled confirmation speed and low-cost on-chain storage.
- (3) The positioning of Sui is a decentralized application platform.
ComingChat itself, as a social product for privacy communication, is deeply loved by the Web3 community. And Dmens being the Twitter of Sui is also an aggressive performance for us.
2.2 Economic characteristics of Dmens
2.2.1 Surprises in deleting dmens
Sui's Token Economics has a storage fund design (https://docs.sui.io/devnet/learn/tokenomics/storage-fund).
On Sui, the storage scale on the chain is getting larger and larger, and for the Validator that joined later, the maintenance storage cost is getting higher and higher. Therefore, Sui’s transaction fees are divided into computing fees and storage fees. The storage fees will be included in the storage fund, and the storage fund will also participate in staking. The staking income of the storage fund will be subsidized to the Validator. If users voluntarily delete on-chain storage, they will get a partial refund of the storage fee they originally paid.
If when the price of Sui currency is low, Dmens tweets to lock up Sui in disguise, and when the price of Sui currency is high, deletes the tweet to recover part of Sui, there is a possibility of U-based profit.
In order to keep the gas fee for deleting tweets as low as possible, Dmens needs to implement an interface for batch operations.
2.2.2 Every dmens is an NFT
On Sui, on-chain data is provided off-chain in the form of Objects, and each Object is an NFT in a broad sense.
We give Dmens tweets a unique NFT logo, and users can choose to auction their tweets in the NFT trading market.
2.3 Dmens source code
3. Dmens online
Dmens web client
4. Dmens vs Damus
Dmens: Twitter on Sui
Positioning: Decentralized social networking based on blockchain
(1) All data exists on all nodes of the Sui p2p network
(2) Anyone can see all data
(3) Emphasize users' ownership of their own data
(4) Provide monetization tools to realize your own data (such as auctioning your own tweets)
(5) Depend on Sui network
(6) Target users are Web3 groups
Damus: an ios/mac client for the decentralized social protocol Nostr
Positioning: Decentralized social network + lightning network payment
(1) The data exists on the relay relay in the Nostr distributed network, the data will not be synchronized between the relays, and the data may be lost
(2) Everyone can only see the data they care about
(3) Emphasis on simplicity + anti-advertising + anti-censorship
(4) Integrated BitCoin lightning network payment
(5) The goal is to create a fully decentralized network
(6) Small-scale communities in various fields